Husband Dumps Wife with 5-Year-Old Child after Her Face Gets Disfigured by a Campfire Accident

A woman had her once-happy life turned upside down after being engulfed in flames and suffering third and fourth-degree burns. While in the hospital, she had another tragic experience.

In November 2016, a mom of one, Courtney Waldon from Tallapoosa, Georgia, was left homeless and with a medical bill of over two million dollars after she was abandoned with her little daughter by her husband, following a fire accident.

Since the unfortunate incident, Waldon has put together the pieces of her life and is bent on making life more comfortable for her and her daughter. Take a look at the tragic occurrence that led to Waldon’s terrible condition.

A picture of Mitch Waldon [left] and Courtney Waldon [right] | Photo: Edition

In September 2016, everything looked perfect for Courtney Waldon. The native of Georgia had just gotten married two months prior and was already a doting mom to a beautiful little girl, Caroline. However, a campfire incident changed everything.

On September 30, 2016, Waldon and her husband Mitch were set to celebrate their two-month marriage anniversary. After putting five-year-old Caroline to bed, the woman joined her husband at a campfire in their backyard.

Waldon and her man enjoyed their time by the fire, cooking asparagus and tuna steak before the flame went out. Then, in an attempt to restart the fire with a gasoline can, the husband accidentally dropped some on his wife.

In no distant time, Waldon was covered in flames, and it was a very terrible experience. Her husband called 911, and after paramedics successfully put out the fire, Waldon was disfigured.

She sustained third-degree burns on her legs, hands, and feet and fourth-degree burns on her face. Speaking about the experience, the woman told People:

“I stopped, dropped, and rolled while screaming bloody murder. It was horrible. I honestly thought I was dying that night. It was the most painful feeling in the world.”

Waldon was placed in a medically induced coma for 51 days in the hospital, where she received various treatments, including skin grafts and about twenty surgeries.

While Waldon struggled to live in the hospital, she experienced another mind-shattering event — her husband abandoned her. 

She told Inside Edition that Mitch left because he could not handle her. According to the woman, she was yet to receive an official apology from her husband. He was responsible for the accident that changed her life, even though it was unintentional.

However, Mitch revealed that he had nothing to apologize for because it was an accident. Instead, he claimed to have left Waldon because she threatened to shoot him.

A netizen’s comment on the viral Youtube video | Photo: youtube/insideedition

After the incident, Waldon noted that she was focused on getting her life back and being strong for herself and her daughter. The woman said even though there were rude comments from people about her changed appearance, she believed she was stronger than the haters.

A GoFundMe page was set up for Waldon, and as of July 14, 2017, about $92,000 had been raised. In addition, a group of people offered to build a new house for her and Caroline.

A netizen’s comment on the viral Youtube video | Photo: youtube/insideedition

Waldon’s story mirrors one of our readers’ submissions where an old lady who thought her husband died in a fire eventually sees him with a younger woman on TV. Read the full story. 

Hopefully, stories like this will inspire many people who have been through traumatic experiences to see that, in the end, it will be worth it. 

Leave a Comment